Pageviews:

Monday, October 3, 2011

6.0

Striving. That's one of many words my family uses to describe our journey. That's also one the word I use for my A1C. "What's an A1C?" You ask. Well, it's a thing only Diabetics have to worry about. It's the average Blood Glucose rate in one or more months.
And  ever since I was diagnosed, me and my two pancreases have been striving for that number 6.0 to show up on my A1C test results. A normal person's A1C would be between 4 and 5.
When I was first told I had diabetes, I had no idea what the heck that noun meant. Of course, I was seven and a half back then and I hardly knew what the word "disease" meant, but still. But when I got more accustomed to this disease, I began to question what in the world this "A1C" meant. So after a long while listening to the long explanation the doctor, Dr. Taplin gave me, I finally understood what A1C meant. That's where the questions really began to start piling up. "What is a normal person's A1C?" "How could I make my A1C better than 10.3?" "How long will it take?"
And, of course, mothers aren't necessarily the most resourceful human beings in the world (no offence,) so all I got was a simple, "I don't know. We'll just have to take it one day at a time." Of course, I don't have any better idea of when it will happen, so I take the suggestion willingly, knowing very well that it be a long time until I would get an A1C like that.
Weeks turned into months and months turned into years until finally, after 4 long years, I, Colin Fabry, have reached 6.0 in my diabetic road, all the while traveling this black road, the Moldy road. After going from 10.3 to 9.2. An from 9.2 to 8.4; down to 7.5 and then to 7.0, I am finally at 6, the glorious 6.
I'm still traveling, I'm still going, and I'll never stop. Not until I die. Striving. That's what I'm doing. And I'll keep on striving.

3 comments:

  1. Colin, I love being part of your pancreas team! I am so proud of your determination and attitude...you are an inspiration to everyone around you.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colin,

    I'm proud of you buddy! Great job.

    It was so nice to hear your voice the other day on the phone and to hear that you all are OK.

    You write beautifully too - keep it up!

    Dr Taplin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin, you have a beautiful voice. Thank you for sharing your story and for being an inspiration to so many through your words and your walk. I always say that Everyone’s Got One; a purpose, a voice, a story, a choice. I believe that God has a very specific purpose and plan for your life and has gifted you with a unique voice and amazing parents to partner with you as you walk out your journey.

    My son, Chris, was diagnosed three years ago and we have witnessed many blessings as we walk our ‘Crooked Road.’ It is a road that we would not have chosen, but like you, one he is called to walk.

    Blessings as you continue your journey. And may you continue to bless others through your story.

    Suzanne Bailey

    ReplyDelete